We've been less than patient waiting for Autumn Green to emerge from his chrysalis and last night I checked online again and then realized I calculated incorrectly. It's approx. 21 days and from when he enters into this stage of his life before he rejoins us as a butterfly and now checking on the calendar that approximate date should be this Wednesday. We are really hoping for this because John has closed the shop for a weeks vacation and if all goes according to plan, then he will be here for the release.
2 comments:
There is a good chance the chrysalis won't hatch this summer. Swallowtails overwinter in the chrysalis stage. Last summer I had 4 chrysalises that I overwintered. First in a fridge until the weather was cold enough to put them out in a shed. In the spring I moved them into a cage in the backyard and they all hatched in early May. Ready to start the next generation.
Swallowtails typically have 2 broods a year, May & July.
Right now I have 6 Black Swallowtails that haven't hatched that I will overwinter. Also have 9 Giant Swallowtails, 2 that are chrysalises and 7 that will go into chrysalises soon. I will also overwinter them. Think of it as Spring starter kits.
If your Swallowtail hatches now it will die without mating and starting a new generation.
So Jojo when will I know if I have to refrigerate my swallowtail?
Post a Comment